Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Apollo missions and me...

I remember once long ago attending a church service in an old movie theater in Ontario California. The preacher was energetic and charismatic. His message really struck home and has stuck in my mind for the past 20+ years. He related the untold story of the Apollo 11. It has been said that the first successful manned space mission to the moon was off course slightly more than 90% of the time. In spite of this disturbing fact the mission's goals were achieved...how?

Constant small adjustments are the answer. What proved to be the salvation for the mission and the men involved is the same course of action that will deliver us to our desired destination. This presupposes we have an firm idea of where we would like to be...our goals must be defined. As described in the enlightening story Alice in Wonderland:


Alice: Can you tell me which path I should take?
Cheshire Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to go!
Alice: I don't really know.
Cheshire Cat: Then, clearly, any path will do!

I look at the course of my life and see many of these adjustments that have brought me back on course, and I realize that the future holds many more requisite corrections. I am grateful to loving parents that have instilled a vision of what my future could ultimately hold and especially to my Savior for the opportunity to make said corrections.


3 comments:

rvasay said...

You have done well my son--very well indeed! I love you MOM

Ps: Matt said you had lost weight.
Dad wants to know the secret.

megship said...

Chad, you are too deep for me. My brain barely works, so if you could just talk about poop and soccer, I would appreciate it.

jmasay said...

I love that passage from Through the Looking Glass and have used it often, especially when teaching the YW. The Apollo story is new to me, so I'll be glad to add it to the repertoire of gospel analogies.