This past week has been rough. I was in SLCs (Student Lead Conferences) until past 8 two nights in a row and then had a track meet the following night. I do not have a problem with what is required of my time, but I went two nights without seeing my twins.
At our house one of the few responsibilities I take is bedtime for the twins. One of the rituals we have is switching which one I lay by as they go to sleep. The bedtime duties fell to Kenra for a few nights and since I leave before they awaken and was getting home after they were in bed they were wondering what had happened to thier dad...and I was really missing them.
I realize a bit more what my own father must have been experiencing on a regular basis as I was growing up. He was and remains so amazing and as is the case with many amazing people he was often gone before we got up and home after we were in bed...I remeber a conversation I had with him not long after I got married where he asked me if I thought he had done a good job as a father, if he had been around enough. My answer then is the same as now. He was AWESOME!
It is only now as I gain some fatherly perspective that I realize the depth of his question and the level of his concern. I am very fortunate to have a profession that allows me so much time with my family. I honestly do not think I am tough enough or well organized enough to have a job that would frequently require me to be away because I do not do a great job maximizing the time I have, if I had less...
Anyway pretty random pointless post but for whatever reason I feel better for expunging from my mind what has been there the past couple of days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love dad! He is my biggest hero. It sounds so dorky but it's true. And I'm sure your kids feel the same way about you. If they don't now, they probably will when they know better. :)
Having a good dad makes all the difference in the world for kids. I know these things. I am wise. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Chad it means a lot. The biggest compliment to me is that my children who are already parents are incredible---much better than I--- and those who are not yet parents will be wonderful when that time comes.
love
Dad
Post a Comment